Interim Recertifications

What is an Interim recertification?
When your household circumstances change it may mean you need to complete an interim recertification before your next scheduled recertification. PHA policies dictate what kinds of information about changes in household circumstances must be reported, and under what circumstances to PHA.

PHA will process interim recertifications to reflect those changes. PHA may also conduct interim recertifications of household income or composition at any time to ensure compliance with program reporting requirements.

Limits on Interim Recertifications

Tenants may request no more than one (1) voluntary interim recertification every six (6) months. The six month clock restarts on the effective date of each regular recertification. Required interim recertifications do not count toward the limit on interim recertifications.

• Elderly/disabled are exempt from the limit on voluntary interim recertifications.

Optional Interim Reporting

Households may request an interim recertification under the circumstances outlined below:

• They receive a decrease in income which may result in a rent decrease; or

• They have an increase in applicable allowances or deductions.

PHA will process a voluntary interim rent reduction if and when the reduction in income is expected to last for more than 30 days.

Required Interim Reporting

Examples of when a client must complete an interim recertification:

• Change in Household Composition
 Households must report all changes in household composition within 30 days of the occurrence.
• Temporary and Sporadic Income
 Households reporting only temporary or sporadic income are required to report increases in  income between regular recertifications.
• Zero Income
 Households/household members are required to report monetary and/or non-monetary changes in  income within 30 calendar days from the date the change occurred.

What Date does my Interim Recertifications take Effect? 

Increases in Rent

An increase in the client's portion of the rent at the time will be effective on the first of the month following 30 days' notice to the household.

If a household fails to report a required change within the required time frames, or fails to provide all required information within the required time frames, the increase will be applied retroactively to the date it would have been effective had the information been provided on a timely basis. The household will be responsible for any overpaid subsidy.

Decreases in Rent

A decrease in family share of the rent at the time of an interim recertification will be effective on the first day of the month following the month in which the change was reported and all required documentation was submitted.

How to request an Interim Recertification

In order to request an Interim Recertification you must complete and submit an "Appointment Request" form.

Once this form has been completed, you may submit the request via email to or drop it off at the PHA Headquarters located at 2013 Ridge Avenue, Philadelphia PA 19121

You will be mailed an "Interim Recertification" packet to complete and return to PHA if you request for an interim has been approved.

If your request for an interim recertification is denied you will receive a "Denial of Interim Recertification" notice

What is required for my Interim Recertification?

Any documents used for verification must be dated within 60 calendar days of the date you submit them to PHA. The documents must not be damaged, altered or in any way illegible. 

Below are Required Document Guides to assist you with submitting the proper documents to PHA for your interim recertification:

Required Documents for Income Verification
Required Documents for Asset Verification
Required Documents for Expenses
Required Documents for change of Family Composition

For additional forms that you may need to complete for Interim Recertification please refer to Recertifications.

What if I have any other questions about my interim recertification?
If you have any questions about your recertification you can contact us at 215-684-4300 or via email at