Awards Set New Record
The scholarships, given to both graduating high school seniors and students already in college, were noted during the PHA Board of Commissioners virtual meeting.
Of the 77 college students receiving scholarships:
- 45 with GPAs between 3.30 and 4.00 received $5,000.
- 17 with GPAs between 3.00 and 3.29 received $3,000.
- 15 with GPAs between 2.50 and 2.99 received $1,000.
In 2019, PhillySEEDS awarded 70 scholars totaling $258,000 in Scholarship dollars.
“We’re thrilled to recognize the incredible work being done by PHA residents to put themselves on a path to social and economic mobility. Education is a game changer. PHA stands by them on their journeys,” said PHA President & CEO Kelvin A. Jeremiah.
The scholarship recipients represent PHA developments around the City, as well as the Housing Choice Voucher Program (also known as Section 8).
- 41 out of the 77 awardees are First time PhillySEEDS Awardees
- 19 out of the 77 awardees just graduated high school and are entering into their first semester of college/university
- 46 awardees are Housing Choice Voucher Residents
- 31 awardees are living in Public Housing/PAPMC sites
A total of almost$1.9 millionhas now been awarded to490residents since this program began in 2013. Money for the scholarships comes from PHA’s operating budget and funds donated by program supporters and vendors.
The 2020 PhillySEEDS Scholarship Review Committee members received a total of 103 PhillySEEDS scholarship applications. The committee composed of PHA employees, student residents, and a resident leader reviewed those applications. They included essays, community service, extracurricular activities, internships, recommendation letters, and academic transcripts were considered by the committee.
Scholarship applications for next year will be made available in spring 2021.
PhillySEEDS, Inc. is an award-winning, 501(c) (3), charitable, non-profit corporation founded by PHA to promote the social and economic advancement of PHA-assisted residents through philanthropic activities, community-based partnerships, and special initiatives.