How to Become an HCV Landlord


Landlord Briefing Session:

The first step to becoming a new HCV landlord is to attend a free PHA/HCV Landlord Briefing Session. The session is mandatory for owners who have never participated in the program before.

PHA conducts Landlord Briefing Sessions at PHA’s Headquarters at 2013 Ridge Ave every:

Wednesday from 5-6 p.m.

There are 35 open seats and availability is on a first come, first served basis.

Owner Certification Training:

The second step to becoming an HCV landlord is to register for the free HCV Owner Certification Training. This training is mandatory for participation and renting a unit in the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program.

PHA now conducts Owner Certification Training virtually  each week:

Tuesday morning 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m.

Click on the link to register: PHA’s HCV Owner Certification Training Tickets

The training sessions are conducted by PHA staff and will help owners understand HCV program regulations and PHA policies. It covers how the HCV program works, your rights and responsibilities as a participating property owner, and how you can effectively conduct business with PHA.

Failure to attend this training is considered non-compliance and will result in PHA dissapproval of participation as a vendor on the Housing Choice Voucher Program.

Listing Your Property:

Learn more about our online property listings here.

Required Documentation:

Landlords must have the following documents before a unit can be leased:

  • A current Renter’s License for the unit being leased.
    • You can obtain a license from the Municipal Service Building. Department of License Issuance Unit, 1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Philadelphia, PA 19102.
    • PHA will also accept a receipt from the City of Philadelphia Department of Licenses and Inspections showing that you have applied for the rental license. However, you must forward PHA a copy of the actual rental license once you receive it.
  • A copy of the Deed of Record (which can be obtained from City Hall) or HUD 1 Settlement Sheet (which can be obtained from the title company you closed with).
  • Photo identification of owner and certified rental agent or property management company (if applicable).
  • A completed IRS Form W-9, Request of Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification for owner or certified rental agent or property management company (if applicable).
  • If an individual other than the owner will manage the property then the following documents must be completed:
    • Owner/Agent Contract

Landlords must also:

  • submit a government-issued document to verify the Employer Identification Number (EIN) used on the W-9. If individual Social Security Number (SSN) is used, you must provide copy of Social Security Card.
  • agree to direct deposit of monies for Housing Assistance Payments.
    • Must submit Direct Deposit form with a voided check.
  • be current with property taxes prior to Housing Quality Inspection.
  • be current with utilities prior to Housing Quality Inspection.
    • Utilities must be turned on by the landlord at the time of inspection in order for the inspection to be completed.
  • have an approved Housing Quality Inspection.
    • A PHA inspector, prior to signing of the lease, will conduct an inspection to ensure the unit meets PHA’s standards.


  1. All information will be collected at the time of lease up with the client.
  2. All owners residing 25 miles or more outside of the City of Philadelphia must have a certified rental agent or property management company to represent their property. The owner is required to submit a signed Agent/Owner Contract to confirm that the individual presenting him/herself to PHA is authorized to act on the owner’s behalf.

For more information, call our Owner Services Department at 215-684-5596 or email us at hc**********@ph*.gov.

Arrow Up