Port-Out Requirements

As a Participant in the HCV Program, your rent assistance can move along with you. Under certain verified conditions, you can transfer your voucher to other counties or states as long as the area has a Housing Authority, (see eligibility criteria for portability). This is called portability.

To port to another Housing Authority other than PHA, you will first need an active shopping voucher whether the voucher is your first voucher on the program or a transfer voucher.

What Factors Should I Consider Before Porting To Another Housing Authority?

  • If you have a legal residence in Philadelphia while on the HCV Program waiting list, you may be eligible to port to another Housing Authority without first using your voucher in Philadelphia.
  • If you have received a voucher and signed a lease in Philadelphia, you must live there for the initial lease term before you are eligible to port.
  • The Housing Authority you want to port to may have different rules, policies and deadlines than PHA.
  • Your portion of the rent, your Utility Allowance and the amount of your rent that the other Housing Authority pays may be different.
  • You may have to have another interview at the other Housing Authority and submit documentation to them.
  • You may have to attend another voucher briefing and may receive a different size voucher at the new Housing Authority.
  • PHA, or the other Housing Authority, can terminate you from the Program while you port if you violate any rules.
  • PHA recommends that you visit the new area that you want to move to before porting.
  • You must give your current Owner or Property Manager at least 30 days’ notice that you will be moving.
  • You must have good standing with PHA before porting (i.e., no lease violations, no unpaid rent, no damages to your current unit or any other program violations).
  • If another Housing Authority besides PHA accepts you or gives you one of their vouchers, you no longer have a voucher with PHA.

What Is the Eligibility Criteria For Portability?

  • Employment: A member of the participant family has been offered and accepted an employment opportunity outside of PHA’s jurisdiction. The employment opportunity must be available within 60 days from the date of the port out request.
  • Education: A member of the participant family has been admitted to an academic program located outside of PHA’s jurisdiction.
  • Safety: The family seeks to move out of PHA’s jurisdiction in order to protect the health or safety of an individual who is or has been the victim of domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking, and who reasonably believes that he or she is imminently threated by harm from further violence if he or she remains in PHA’s jurisdiction.
  • Medical/Disability: A family member has a documented medical need or disability that requires treatment or other medical assistance outside of PHA’s jurisdiction.

How Do I Request A Port-Out To Another Housing Authority?

You may request a port-out by completing a Portability Request Form. You must supply supporting documentation relating to the request when submitting the form to PHA dated within the last 60 days.

What Are the Local Housing Authorities Can I Port -Out To?

While you may port-out to any housing authority in the United States, many requests are to local housing authorities. Below is a list of local authorities in close proximity to Philadelphia.

Delaware County Housing Authority1855 Constitution Avenue
Woodlyn, PA 19094-0100
P: 610-876-2521
F: 610-490-3306
Montgomery County Housing Authority104 W Main Street
Norristown, PA 19401
P: 610-275-5720
F: 484-688-025
Bucks County Housing Authority240 Levittown Parkway
Levittown, Pa 19054
P: 215-945-6110 Ex #17
F: 215-946-0669
New Jersey Department of Community AffairsP.O. Box 051
Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0051
P: 609-633-6254
F: 609-292-9653
F: 302-395-5591
Housing Authority of the City of Camden114 Boyd Street
Camden, NJ 08105
P: 856-968-2756
F: 856-966-2118
City of Chester Housing Authority1111 Avenue of the States
Chester, PA 19013
P: 610-876-5561
F: 610-340-0853
Wilmington Housing Authority400 North Walnut Street
Wilmington, DE 19801
P: 610-876-5561
F: 302-483-6721
New Castle County Housing Authority77 Reads Way,
New Castle, DE 19720

Arrow Up